Janet leads the firm’s knowledge management and communication efforts. She focuses on initiatives to improve how our lawyers and clerks develop, maintain and share knowledge so that AUM Law can efficiently provide its clients with the most practical, forward-thinking advice and services. She also writes and/or oversees the creation of our client bulletins, brochures and other publications.
Before joining AUM Law, Janet was a Senior Vice President in the Government and Public Affairs Team at Moody’s, where she was deeply involved in helping the rating agency transition to a highly regulated environment across the globe. She also designed and implemented a knowledge management system for her department. Before joining Moody’s, she was a Senior Corporate Governance Specialist at the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Paris, where she helped develop and test the OECD’s first assessment methodology for its revised Principles of Corporate Governance. Before that, she spent nearly six years at the Ontario Securities Commission, first as Senior Legal Counsel for its Takeover Bid Team and later as Manager of International Affairs. In between these two roles, she spent a year on secondment to the Market Conduct Division of the UK Financial Services Authority. Before joining the OSC in 1998, she worked for law firms in New York and Toronto, including as a partner in the Research Group at Davies, Ward & Beck.
Janet has lectured on securities law, corporate governance, credit rating agencies, and legal research at law and business schools in Canada, the United States and Europe.
- Partners, Directors and Officers Course (2017)
- International Diploma in Compliance (International Compliance Association) (2013)
- LLM, (Securities Law), Osgoode Hall Law School (1998)
- LLB, University of Toronto Law School (1991)
- Moody’s Corporation (2007-2016)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (2005-2007)
- Ontario Securities Commission (2002-2005)
- UK Financial Services Authority (2001-2002)
- Ontario Securities Commission (1998-2001)
- Davies, Ward & Beck (1994-1998)
- Sullivan & Cromwell (1993-1994)
- Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt (1991-1992)
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Osgoode Professional LLM in Securities Law – “The Role of Credit Ratings and Rating Agencies in the Evolving Regulatory Landscape” (March 2019)
- Professional Risk Managers’ International Association, Ethics Committee (2017-2019)